Wednesday 4 December 2013

'My' Newbury...

I was asked the other day what I like about working in Newbury. I came up with quite a list, so let’s kick off with three – not in any particular order.

Walking by the canal at lunchtime
After a morning at my desk, I need to get some fresh air. Sometimes it is just a quick dash to the shops to get a sandwich or Auto Express, but what I most enjoy is a break from the bustle and to get a proper leg-stretch along the towpath. Whatever the season, there is always something going on – and it gives great ‘thinking time’ too.

Coffee shops for business meetings
It has become a bit of standing joke that my ‘second office’ is one of the many coffee shops in town. I have a particular favourite – perhaps no coincidence that it is the closest to my workplace so very convenient, but it’s by no means just that – the staff are always welcoming, the coffee always good. On top of that, it provides the atmosphere I am looking for when I want a more relaxed style of business meeting. (And the caffeine can be a real boost to get the ideas flowing.)

A34 and M4 links
Newbury is fortunate in being so close to these two major roads and as my job involves me regularly travelling to other towns I appreciate being able to get ‘on the road’ fairly swiftly. Admittedly, there can be quite a bottleneck at certain times of day at the Robin Hood roundabout, but there is nothing wrong with setting out 10 minutes earlier and using the time to make a phone call or two (hands free of course), or making those minutes a pleasure by listening to the radio.

I’ll tell you more about ‘my’ Newbury next time....

Baxter



No comments:

Post a Comment